Tuesday, February 26, 2008

time is running out!

So I realise I've been quite slack on the blog as of late. So much has happened and this week is very full with all my last minute things. I cannot believe that this time next week, I will be back in Australia. Where has the time gone? I keep moving between a whole range of emotions - from wanting to skip this week and just be home, to wanting to stay for another year or so :-P Luckily there are a few of us leaving, so we've all be chatting about it, but not so excited about the reverse culture shock I'm sure will hit me. At the same time, thats part of the whole experience and while I am going to miss so many people and so many things from this amazing place, the fact that I will be so sad to leave is an indicator to me of just how worthwhile this whole trip has been.

On another note, a huge thank you to some marvellous marvellous people who responded to my requests for moolah! Ended up with just under $900 AUS - WOW guys. You all rock :) Have to get my act together these next few days to get the money where it needs to go but am so excited that I can pass your generousity on to so many people :)

My last weekend was spent with all the other girls at a most deliciously wonderful place called Ada Foah. When I thought about travelling around Ghana pre-arriving here, I thought I would see many interesting places or many cultural places, but had no idea the number of breath takingly stunning places I would have the chance to visit. Ada Foah is a long sand bar/penisula to the East where the Volta River meets the ocean. We stayed smack bang on the middle of the sand bar, with the beautiful Volta Lake to one side, complete with its various islands and colourful fishing boats, and the wild, striking ocean to the other. Accomodation was no more than $10 for the whole weekend - woven grass huts lined up along the sand, right under the coconut tree grove, where we spent our few days hanging between the trees in lazy hammocks. Seriously, I can't explain how crazy amazing this place was! And you can only get there by boat so we got to cruise down the Volta taking in the wonder that is Ada Foah :)

My project in reviewing the IV program here is coming along really well. I've learnt so much about NGOs and the issues they face in getting their work done, which is such an awesome practical lesson to learn while I study the theoretical side of international development. I remember a friend saying sometime before I left, that this trip might make it or break it in as much as me discovering whether development work is something I do actually want to get into. And while I've realised its not nearly as straight forward or simple as I've thought, I definitely want a career in working with disadvantaged communities and individuals, building their capacity to support themselves and especially the needs of their children.

I will try and write some more this week, I have many stories to get out of my head and onto a computer screen! But if I don't get a chance, I will be home Monday night 10pm-ish after a ridiculous amount of time travelling (leaving here Friday afternoon!). Looking forward to seeing everyone - til then - Love you Ba-Bye!

2 comments:

Rosalind said...

building their capacity, nice, I like it... has potential, perhaps a company name? ;P

Lianita said...

Hey Laura!

Can't believe you're already coming home. Over the last few months I've checked your blog every day and absolutely loved reading your entries. It was great getting an insight into life in Ghana, and what you've been doing is very inspirational. It has reminded me a lot of my 3 months in Peru doing volunteer work - emotions, frustration, happiness, etc. I can't wait to hear more about it and to see photos etc.

Love,
Liana (VGen)