Wednesday, January 30, 2008

my teeth hurt..

...they do, from the cold of all things, and I don't have sensodyne toothpaste here, I'm in a really spot of trouble haha. okay, silly thoughts are floating round my head, this evening has been really lovely. A few of the volunteers are leaving tomorrow and the next day so we did a special dinner (someone found a cabbage at the market so we made salad! and andi's mum sent her packet mash potato and gravy, seriously that stuff is good!). A big part of this trip that I was looking forward to was meeting the other IVs, and being here two months, I can definitely say that they have played a huge part in making this trip what it is.

I've always lived at home, so I guess being here was a taste of independence, with a whole lot of cool benefits (like we have a cook and cleaner and washing ladies and maintenance men etc etc!). All of us are fairly different characters but that has only made things more fun - we've had some pretty cool chats about life and love and religion and poverty and politics and everything in between...including the nightly conversation of every single food we miss (cheese, green beans and brocolli are high on my list!). I've learnt weird arabic expressions and realised that newfoundland is so similar to tasmania, that french sounds really cool except when everyone else in the house can speak it but you, that dutch sounds even cooler, that no matter where in the world you are from there is a lot to learn from each other :)

my brain is a bit muddled and i had lots more to write but im super tired and have to be up at 6 tomorrow (we are going to spend countless hours on a tro tro to get to the big bead markets here!). but on a funny note, we have been a little bit naughty and taught the kids some funny things to say... 'suck it to me, sucker', or 'leave me alone or i'll bite your bum!' or 'sh#t man!' (which I had no involvement in I swear!), or telling hte kids that certain people's names are 'fatty boom ba' or so on...oh the laughs :)

1 comment:

Steffany said...

Which I had no involvement in I swear..

Haha.. you do swear.

Okay okay.. bad joke Steff.