Friday, December 28, 2007

Festive Season :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone! I've had a really good past few days, enjoying Christmas on camp and just returning from a night away at the beach.

My Christmas eve was spent popping popcorn and getting things ready for a kids party the next day. In the evening we all sat outside under a full moon and clear African sky, surrounded by candles and jamming with a guitar and african drums (okay so I didn't do any jamming, my lack of musical ability and all!).
 
Christmas day we put on some cheesy christmas music, blew up countless balloons and had a dance party with a bunch of kids that live around us. All the kids got sunglasses for Christmas, its really funny seeing them all stroll through camp with their glasses, trendy denim jackets and 'Christmas hair' (cool braids or beads etc). Defintely a Christmas to remember!!

On Boxing Day the others had organised a soccer and kickball tournament just by our house and the rubbish dump. They had heaps of kids and everyone had a good time, I saw the photos but wasn't feeling well so napped all day on a mattress outside our house. The kids here are the cutest, when I said I wasn't well they all apologise (as they do when I tell them the sun gave me the freckles on my arm they are so intrigued by!) The little boys especially come over and like to 'neaten' me up, namely put the wisps of sweat hair that are always stuck to my face back behind my ears. 

Thursday and Friday (today) I spent with three of the other IVs at Winneba, a beautiful quiet beach about 30 mins away. The beach stretches on forever, lined by the tallest palm trees and covered in gorgeous shells. We collected a bunch to bring home for the girls to make necklaces out of, talked to a newly wed couple from Burkina Faso and learnt swear words in arabic (thanks to the Egyptian member of our little travelling quartet). The pineapple juice was AMAZING, a rip off here (at $1 per big mug!) but freshly made and to die for. Seriously, it was incredible, beyond incredible even! 

Two IVs are leaving in the next few days sowe'll see them off and New Years plans include a trip into Accra and probably some bar hopping :) Six new vollies will arrive in the next few days, including four aussies (yay! i've been as patriotic as i can on my own, singing our anthem one morning and hanging an aussie flag above my bed, but itll be good to have some others to celebrate Australia Day with!) 

Thats about it from me, I'm off to buy some dinner and sort out cool sea shells :) Love to you all!

No comments: